With the New Year rung in, it’s time for the dreaded decoration deconstruction. I had a blast this year decorating my new home for Christmas and did a lot of little projects around the place to make it feel festive. Some of my favorites were the Christmas pillows I made.
- I started with 6 completed pillows in various sizes. My mom had a bunch that no longer matched her decor that she gave me to “play” with. Thus, the idea of the Christmas themed pillow covers came to mind. Covers are a great way to change your decor for the holidays or reuse something you otherwise would have given away or thrown out. I think some Valentine’s day pillow covers might need to go into production here soon.
- I then found an online tutorial for how to make a pillow cover with an invisible zipper. I’ve never made a pillow cover before but this blog post from Never Yawn had a great tutorial on this (others listed below). I used fleece for the fabric. I had a guest at our New Years Eve party tell me how much she loved them because they felt like Snuggies!
- Once I was done with the covers, I created shapes and letters out of remaining fabric to attach. I did four of the circles and buttons and two with holiday phrases.
- I applied the cutouts by hand, sewing them on with coordinating embroidery floss. I didn’t use any fancy techniques just a simple straight stitch. I threw some buttons on the pillows with the circle design for a final touch and voilà!
Here are some other great posts on how to make a pillow cover:
- How To Sew A Throw Pillow Cover In 10 Easy Steps by Cottage Magpie
- Super Easy Removable Pillow Cover Tutorial by Sparkle Power
- Easy Envelope Pillow Covers by Tinydecor